Tuesday, April 7, 2009


Channel NewsAsia - Tuesday, April 7


As the family of the first victim of the Geylang mass food poisoning incident prepare for a funeral, another is keeping a close watch as Noraini Kasim fights for her life at Alexandra Hospital.

The 59—year old who had eaten Indian rojak from the same hawker stall, is now in a coma.

On Monday morning, 57—year—old Madam Aminah Samijo who had been in a coma, died without regaining consciousness after being rushed to the intensive care unit of Changi General Hospital.

The hospital diagnosed the canteen assistant who arrived unconscious, unresponsive and with breathing difficulties, as suffering from Gastroenteritis and septic shock.

The body of Madam Aminah has been handed over to her family at about 12.15pm Tuesday.

Seven family members were at the Singapore General Hospital to claim the body which had undergone an autopsy to determine the exact cause of her death.

The dead woman’s son, 23—year—old Salleh Omar told 938Live that Indian rojak was his mother’s favourite dish and she had patronised weekly the popular stall known as Rojak Geylang Serai.

Mr Salleh said it’s too early to say what action the family will take against the stall owner as the family is concentrating on the funeral.

Speaking at the family flat in Eunos Crescent, Madam Aminah’s daughter, Siti, said her mum who will be greatly missed was well—liked and a great cook.

Apart from Mdm Aminah, another member of the family, her younger brother Ahmad Samijo, also came down with food poisoning after eating from the stall last Wednesday.

He managed to recover from the bout through outpatient treatment.

In all, the Health Ministry has received 111 reports of food poisoning linked to the Rojak Geylang Serai stall at the Geylang Serai Temporary Market.

The victims include a 38—year—old housewife, Rosiah Samat who received a special treat of Indian rojak from her husband on Friday.

The mother—to—be who ended up with food poisoning also suffered a miscarriage.

So far 27 people have had to be hospitalised, while the rest received outpatient treatment at various emergency departments for symptoms that includes severe abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea.

Preliminary investigations show the cases to be associated with the food from the stall which has been ordered to be closed after being inspected by the Health Ministry and National Environment Agency (NEA).

The stallholder and his assistant have been told to undergo screening for food borne pathogens at the Communicable Disease Centre while other stalls in the area have undergone a hygiene inspection.

The precautionary measure by the NEA has found that the other food stalls are satisfactory and stallholders were reminded to keep up a high standard of food and personal hygiene.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

poor people